Friday, April 1, 2016

Weak by SWV, Jazz Remake... I'm all for this form of cultural appropriation


Sometimes jazz can be too complex for me to grasp.  And this remake is certainly complex on the verge of hard to get musically.  But it really brought out a beauty I never saw in the lyrics of the original.  SWV version was not complex, very pretty and well-sung.  But I never really appreciated the words till this...



Props to Brian Alexander Morgan for such a sweet composition and to SWV for bringing it to life.

Here's the original for you young souls...



I very much appreciate the original more now.  This is how Cultural Appropriation can pay respect.  Nothing wrong with cultural appropriation if it's not exploitative and actually shows the beauty of the original.  That should be the standard when a person takes on elements not of their culture...

Though I think the way he was treated is ridiculous and indicative of deep mental health issues in the activist/social justice community, this guy doesn't meet the standard for innocuous cultural appropriation.  See his explanation for why there is nothing wrong with him wearing dreadlocks below.



Certainly a teachable moment for Cory Goldstein and hopefully for the girl who berated him. I suggest they start by listening to both versions of "Weak" and discussing the merits/demerits of each over some Chai tea.