Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Make Room for Magic: What I know by 40...

As my cousin T. Rose said when he, my brother Tony, and I were making a series of film shorts called Crossroad Cab more than six years ago...



...You have to make room for the magic.  That means that, sometimes, things can't be scripted and must not go as planned.  Sometimes genius is only found in flow.  And though our film didn't win any awards or thousands of views, we learned a great lesson in teamwork and openness making space for magic.

So yesterday, while prepping for a presentation to youth, I asked Facebook friends to help me with a portion of the presentation by describing the current state of the world in 3 words.  I wanted to share the perspective of grown folk with the youth.  After getting so many diverse responses from so many diverse people, here are the words arranged in a word cloud.

The most used words are larger and are not in the original order.  But the new arrangement produced some really cool word arrangements.  Some of my favorites:

intuition imprisoned
wholeness generation
Will Love World
future innovation critical
dare build new
depressed perceptions
blind king sucks
dystopia potential
ghetto longing
prayed blues
coming mess
learn life love imagine

It's really cool how a bunch of adults gave three words about the world they wanted to share with youth.  Cooler that when those words were then run through a randomizing algorithm, the result was poetry.  That's making room for magic. And two days from 40, I'm all about it.

State of the World word cloud